Living With Meniere's Disease

One of the things I wish to use my blog for is to help other people who have Meniere's Disease or are concerned they may have it but aren't certain. I wish to share my experiences, struggles, past and present and discuss what helps me overcome them. I am happy to hear from anyone who may have a question or comment about Meniere's Disease. I will whenever possible attempt to leave informative links at the end of my writings for your use. Your feedback is appreciated and if you have any useful links to add please do so in the comments. As many of you may or may not know Meniere's Disease is associated with migraines. I will also be discussing from time to time my own struggles with Migraine Disease as well as Meniere's Disease as I do have both diseases overlapping, yet separate. I will discuss issues with pain management, ways of coping, dealing with depression, (my children help me a lot in these areas) and how important it is to make sure you are patient with yourself when others may not be as understanding. Get as much rest as you need when you need it because better days are around the corner. And always drink lots of water!!! 
Vincent Van Gogh suffered with Meniere's Disease, not epilepsy as once believed.
From Science Direct:
Very surprising diagnoses have sometimes been made of the illness from which Vincent van Gogh suffered. Most of them can be safely ignored; the diagnosis of Ménière's disease, however, put forward by K. I. Arenberg, deserves attention. This diagnosis was first criticized in a doctoral thesis in 1992 in the university of Saint-Etienne (France), and again in a book published by Henri André Martin in 1994, and the present study is based on these. Analyzing van Gogh's pathology presupposes awareness of the family context in which he lived, his eventful life, his artistic career and of his correspondence, which notably provides no support for a diagnosis of Ménière's disease. Analysis, indeed, enables Ménière's disease to be categorically eliminated in favor of temporal epilepsy, as confirmed in 1956 by Gastaut following the diagnosis initially made half a century earlier by Dr Rey. Van Gogh's illness is an example of the contradictory changes in affect, behavior and personality to be observed in epileptic patients. Absinth intoxication doubtless aggravated van Gogh's epilepsy and may account for certain prolonged episodes of confusion. It would be wrong, however, to speak of alcoholic dementia rather than of a probable epileptic psychosis or other pathology such as hallucinatory psychosis, or delirious attack, either isolated or related to late-onset schizophrenia. Apart from certain episodes of severe mental disorder, however, van Gogh's exceptional creativity was maintained up to the very end. Like any other artist, his temperament was expressed in his art, exalted rather than impaired by his illness.
To read the full article click the link below it will take you to the website Science Direct:



Self-portrait with bandaged ear January-February1889, oil on canvass, 55 x 45 cm.



My Daily Struggles

Looking back through my life before diagnosis, before children, before marriage, before college, I can certainly see where the signs of Meniere's was poking it's ugly finger into my life teasing for my attention. But I didn't have a clue, at the time, what it was. Little things, I noticed in my 20's (I just had my 46th birthday on May 6th) that were challenging for me but not anyone around me, like, I couldn't carry a box up or down a flight of stairs. Even if it was only a few steps. Basically if I couldn't see my feet or use a hand rail, I didn't feel comfortable I called it, simply because I had no idea it was a balance issue. I knew it felt scary, I knew it made me sick to my stomach, but I didn't know why which was really quite puzzling! 
Thinking back I remember one other persistent significant issue like this that would creep up now and then. If I was involved in a conversation with a person who was positioned behind me and just to the right so that I needed to turn my head to the right and look back while tilting my head, it meant bad new for me. I would begin to feel a tingling in my head on the right side and the hearing in my right ear would lessen I would then start to black out. This would happen every time I tilted my head in that same position. It didn't happen often so I didn't think a lot of it at the time. I told people about it who recommended I tell my doctor which I did. The doctor told me not to turn my head in that direction. What a quack, right? LOL!!!

Until next time...xox
Get your rest lovies, stay away from salt, drink lots of water!!!!!
KLM

Below is a link to a great website about living with Meniere's Disease: Learn To Thrive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Knitting Patterm

Leaf Cup Cuddler

Faux Birch Bark Box with Moss Covered Lid "Tutorial"